The first step in creating Dynamic Pages is to define a collection. Collections are similar to databases in that they contain lists of items that have the same type of information (name, location, image, etc.).
For example, a collection might contain information about properties available to rent:
|Property Name||# of Rooms||Price||Location||Image||Page_Item_url|
|Property A||3||500,000||Tempe, Arizona||URL||property_a|
|Property B||1||200,000||Denver, Colorado||URL||property_b|
|Property C||2||300,000||London, UK||URL||property_c|
Types of Collections
You can create three types of collections:
- Google Sheets
Creating a Collection
For specific instructions on creating a collection, see the above articles. Note all collections should adhere to the following:
- The first row of the collection should contain the field names (such as Number of Rooms)
- Data should be structured correctly based on the data type. See Using Google Sheets as a Collection and Using Airtable as a Collection for more information on supported data types and structure.
- For Airtable and Google Sheets you should have a text field named page_item_url- which defines the URL of each page item and appears in the editor drop down. If this field is not defined, page URLs will get numbers (Google Sheets) or a random string (Airtable).
- To use Location & Business hours you must follow a specific structure in a text field:
Business hours structure (field type: text):
- SAT, SUN: 08:00-20:00; THU, FRI: 08:00-12:00;
Location (field type: text):
- String - streetAddress, postalCode, region, city, country
- 577 College Ave, 94306, CA, Palo Alto, US
- The geo location is calculated from this string, the postal code isn’t mandatory but if the address isn’t written correctly (typos for example) we might not find it
To create a collection:
- Navigate to Content > Business Content > Collections and click New Collection.
- Select the type of collection you want to create.
- Connect to the collection.
- Define the correct data type for each field.
- Click Done.
The new collection shows up in the Collection Panel. The next step is to create or convert a Dynamic Page so you can connect it to your newly created Collection.