Sometimes price modifiers and additional images are not enough to differentiate your products. Product variations can help you assign different images for every option in your store as well as to track the stock of options like sizes.
Check out a video about variations setup:
Each possible set of options for a particular product is a variation for that product.
For example, a t-shirt that comes in two sizes (small and medium) and two colours (yellow and gray) has four variants:
Variations help organise your store into separate nested products. With Product Variations feature, you can:
- upload separate images to each of the variants (frequently used for clothing and shoes)
- automatically adjust prices with customer selections
- track inventory with unique SKUs to prevent overselling
- adjust weight to get more precise shipping rates at checkout
Start by adding a new product in Ecwid Control panel → Catalogue → Products, + Add new product.
- Open the page to edit the product.
- Switch to the Options tab and create two options (size and colour) by clicking Add new option.
Use Drop-down menu and Radio button options to create variations.
- Add the selection values to every option by clicking Add new selection. In our example we add "Small" and "Medium" for the "Size" option and "Yellow" and "Gray" for "Colour":
- Switch to the Variations tab.
- Click + New Variation:
- Select the colour and size for this variation:
- Set the SKU, Price and Weight for the variation.
- Set the stock of the product variant. Click Manage, set the number in stock and the quantity for the low stock notifications:
- Click OK.
- Repeat the steps for all necessary variations:
- Set the stock of the base product to Unlimited:
- Click Save.
Customers can now choose from options and see corresponding pictures while browsing. This is how customers shop variations look: