The Navigation and Sub-Navigation Menus are links to internal pages of your Website. We build these menus automatically based on the pages you have created and the menu layout may vary a bit from template to template. A well-structured Navigation Menu helps your Site visitors find the information they are looking for.
Building the menu
Add the Navigation links widget to the site and pick one of the options for populating the list of links.
- Site page - Populate the content of the navigation links with site pages, navigation folders and anchors. This menu will be generated automatically based on site Pages tab. This is a quick way to place basic navigation on your site.
- Custom links - Build your own menu with custom links. This option allows great flexibility in creating quick navigation bars to add inner page navigation, footer navigation with only most useful links, social accounts menu and more.
After you pick the Custom links option, the editor will prompt you to populate the list of links with custom elements, similar to how you would work with link picker. Just add items and link them to external or internal pages and anchors.
Styling the menu
Edit the navigation's design by right-clicking on the navigation and selecting Edit Design.
The Layout section lets you easily switch between one of the several designs for the navigation bar. Keep in mind you can modify the design of any of these layouts, so just pick one which looks similar to the design you want, and then see the later Predefined Sections of this article for customising the look even further.
To use the navigation capabilities (either published or unpublished), users will need to actively change a layout. The new navigation uses different CSS selectors so switching the layout will reset the navigation customisation and allow the user to customise it again. Clicking undo will bring back the old navigation.
Sub Navigation Layout
If your site contains subpages, then you will also have access to a Sub Navigation Layout section. From here you can select a layout for how the subpages on your site will appear. Just like the main navigation layout, you can also modify the sub navigation layout in later Predefined Sections.
Split navigation / Centre logo
If you want to place your site's logo in between your navigation items without having to create two separate sets of navigations, you can do it by selecting the "Horizontal with logo" orientation.
It will break the navigation links into two, aligning them equally from both sides of the logo. The centre logo feature takes into account the number of navigation items, so if you keep adding pages, the navigation items will be organised automatically.
If there is an odd number of navigation items, the right side will contain more items (no option to change this).
From the Pages tab, you can customise:
- The style of individual navigation bars (background colour, hover colour and Blank Space as well as text style)
- The direction of the navigation (Left-To-Right or Right-To-Left)
- The number of visible navigation items
- The type of divider you want between your navigation pages (if you want a divider).
- Whether to enable quick navigation is enabled (Read more about this in Considerations)
If you click on "Link Text" you can adjust options for
- Font Type
- Font Size
- Text Colour
- Option for underline, bold and italic
Selected Page & Hover
At the bottom of the pages section, you can customize the style of the selected navigation and the hover effects for the navigation. Select from the many "hover" effects to add additional uniqueness to your site.
You can also modify the colour of the navigation item when you hover over it, as well as the bold, underline and italics from the "link text" options.
From the Subpages tab, you can customise the sub navigation style
- Background colour
- Spacing between sub navigation
- Divider style
- Selected page background colour
If you go into the "link text" options for subpages you can also specify how the sub pages appear. Specifically:
- Font Style
- Font Size
- Text Colour
- Bold, Underline and Italics
- Text Direction for right to left or left to right
- Selected page text colour
- Selected page Bold, Underline and Italics
From the Spacing tab, you can customise the Blank Space of the navigation bar.